Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Letter 2008

Welcome to the Rector family directory!
I have officially joined the tech community... Whew. I'm exhausted!
When was the last time I sent Christmas cards or letters?......... well, I guess it's about time!
A lot has happened in 2008, technically starting in December of '07.
Keep checking the directory to see where we are now.
December 22 marks the one year of anniversary of Jaime's marriage to Kevin Cohan. It was a beautiful ceremony at The Keeter Center at College of the Ozarks.



In February Scott and Jasmine attended the PWOC sponsored Father/Daughter dance. This was our 3rd annual and it is so amazing to see more than 500 fathers and daughters out together! I am on the committee again for the '09 event.

Jasmine had an amazing track season. This picture was in the Rolla paper from her first place 5'0 jump at a home meet. Her personal best was 5'2 at conference and at district where she took second place. She placed at sectionals and went on to state.We are looking forward to her senior season.


We left the district meet in a hurry in order to get back home for prom. Jasmine's date is her boyfriend, Jason. He is a cadet at West Point now.


The day after district track and prom was Mother's Day. We left for the other side of the state for Jaime's graduation ceremony from College of the Ozarks. It was a great weekend made even better by having Scott's parents with us.


Our vacation at the end of June found us traveling to Nebraska where we visited 3 colleges, went home to visit and then spent 4th of July in Omaha. While at home we spent a really fun day at my sister's. We all had a great time with her family and my brother, Danny, and his family. Bobbie has a great pool with this huge inflatable ball that kept us busy all day. We still laugh when we look at the pics. In this one Jasmine is taking a turn.
For the 4th, we went to one of our favorite places, Rosenblatt Stadium, for baseball and fireworks. Scott's brother, Ron, and his family went with us. It was one of those perfect summer nights; the fireworks were beautiful. And at one point on the big screen they ran an ad for Nebraska Wesleyan University which we had just visited - we thought maybe it was a sign. Here are Jasmine and Ron's daughter, Jordan, who is also a senior in high school. Do they look like they are related?


The fall brought us to Jasmine's senior year and her final high school volleyball season. It was the best season Rolla has had in years. They took first place in the Knob Noster tournament and second in their home tourney. Jasmine became a utility player; she played right side hitter, middle hitter and in the Rolla home tournament added on outside hitter and played two positions in one game. She's a hard hitter and exciting to watch. In the senior volleyball video they labeled her as "Power".

At the end of volleyball season we made a trip back to Nebraska Wesleyan. Jasmine sat in on a couple of classes. She reconnected with the track coach and then he had her hang out with a couple of girls from the team. We ended that night by watching a volleyball game and talking with the coach whom she had met at camp that summer. This visit confirmed Jasmine's decision to attend college there. Both Coach Bullings (track) and Coach Chambers (volleyball) have been very encouraging. And we have been thrilled with the way we have all been treated all along the way. Here is Jasmine as she heads off to start her visit that day. I look at this picture and wonder where the time has gone. She'll be there in Lincoln before you know it.




November really brought a big change for us all. Scott left for Djibouti for his job with The Shaw Group. He will be there until at least April 2nd. I know it seems crazy after leaving the military to voluntarily go "TDY", but it seems to be the answer to several questions we have been praying about. He is working hard 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. But the work is good, the people are great and he is having an experience that many people will never have. It's supposed to be an adventure after all. One interesting thing he has done is to visit a baby orphanage where he got to hold babies for a few hours. The chapel sends people every Friday and I think Scott plans on being a regular. Friday is also the day he goes to chapel as it is his only day off. There is supposed to be a picture here he sent of one of his excursions, but I can't get it to paste here. I will have to wait until I have technical support available to share it with you. His email address is: scott.rector@shawgrp.com. I know he would love to hear from you.

A week after Scott left I attended the International Protestant Women of the Chapel conference in Dallas. I have been part of this wonderful ministry since our days in Hawaii. This conference was very special to me because I got to see 4 wonderful women that God has brought into my life and that all now live away from where I am. The reconnection with my sweet sisters was a reminder to me of all His goodness. I feel so blessed in their friendship.





It has been a fabulous year and I can't wait to see what 2009 will bring. We know that whatever it is we want you to be part of it. I pray that you have a blessed Christmas and a New Year full of love and joy - throw in some adventure, too and pray for me to be adventurous along with you!

Love,
always...

4 comments:

Me & My 3 Sisters said...

LOVE IT!! So glad you took the plunge.

Jaime said...

You did a really good job!! The story and the pictures are great!

alohajays said...

Merry Christmas, Rectors! Great job, Chris...was a challenge, eh? Maybe I'll make the jump into blogging, too. Although Facebook was a pretty big jump for me!

Buri Family said...

Yay! I'm so glad you have a blog! I'm honored to be your friend.